Try this easy to make (using our Berry Burst bars as the base) and guilt free Christmas Cake recipe for a healthier holiday! This ‘cake’ is paleo, gluten free, wheat free, dairy free, soy free, refined sugar free and absolutely yummy!
Serves 10-12 using a 22-24cm pan
15 Berry Burst Bars
150g pure coconut sugar
2 c water
1 c & 1/3 c coconut oil
3 Tbsp chia seeds mixed with 9 Tbsp water (to make 3 ‘chia eggs’)
1 c coconut flour
2 c wholemeal spelt flour (or a gluten free alternative such as rice flour, buckwheat flour, or almond flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 c wheatgerm or oat-bran (optional)
1/2 c almond flour
50g walnuts (optional)
1. Crumble the Berry Burst bars into a saucepan with the coconut sugar and water.
2. Slowly bring to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes.
3. Turn off the heat and leave to cool.
4. When quite cool stir in the oil, chia eggs, then flours, wheatgerm (if using) and almond meal. Mix well.
5. For an extra nutty texture stir in the walnuts.
6. Grease and line a cake tin.
7. Turn the cake mix into the tin and smooth the top.
8. Bake at 160C for between 1 & 1/2 – 2 hours or until a skewer comes out clean.
This cake will last for up to a week in a sealed container but can be frozen for up to three months.
Best enjoyed with homemade coconut custard, strawberries and cherries for a decadent Christmas treat!